Saturday, September 10, 2011

Let's Catch Up!

"Have you caught up on what you have missed?"
"Are you happy with campus life?"
"Gone to a lot of parties?"

These are just some of the questions Salen, my younger sister asked me over a three-hour-phone-call, a new record of us talking that long on the phone thus far. We barely talked for 20 minutes over the phone. Perhaps, it’s because we're apart? Not really. We've been apart before. She was in Oregon for about 4 months while I was in MD, starting my freshman year in college. We just didn't have a lot to talk about.

We are sisters and like other sisters, we're extremely comfortable around each other -- comfortable in a way that we could easily be mad at each other. So comfortable, we didn't give high value on our presence together. We never stopped to think, "what if she's not here tomorrow -- at another place or just not here on this Earth anymore? Would my life still be normal? Would I miss her? If so, what would I miss about her? Wait, what's her FAVORITE COLOR?" All of a sudden, I contemplate about all these questions and so many more -- our good times, as well as bad ones and possibly the most embarrassing question, "do I really know my sister?" I don’t like clichés, but here’s one that I value: never take anything for granted. The downside of this cliché is that it’s almost always emphasized after a tragic event that rips a loved one away from a person or family.

Marked as the worst single act of terrorism on American soil, the events of Sept. 11, 2001 claimed thousands of innocent people and have inflicted pain and suffering on many thousands of the victim's family members and friends. This year marks ten-year anniversary of the attacks. In the days leading up to the anniversary, numerous personal stories related to the attacks have made national headlines. Peace is more omnipresent with time. Many people come together as a group, community, and as a nation to remember the victims, support those who lost their loved ones, and commemorate those who courageously put their lives out there to save others. More are aware and understand about the discrimination that some of our fellow friends, neighbors, and people have experienced and continue to face as a result of the tragedy. Moreover, this anniversary reminds us to appreciate the important people in our lives, for life is too short. No one knows when one will be gone for good or not.

I surely took time for granted. It didn't hit me until Salen exclaimed, "let's catch up!" This sounds like my best friends' line when we are so far behind on each others’ lives; we’re so excited to catch up. Blame the super long driving hours from MD to Canada and the Pacific Ocean that separates the States and Cambodia. Why does Australia have to be so down south? Perhaps, I should blame the ridiculously expensive airfare, but why are we all over the world at the first place? Another thing to ponder! When I heard that from Salen, I thought that was my best friend who was the closest in distance to me, yet I didn't realize it was necessary to catch up. After all, we lived under the same roof and saw each other every day. I didn't regret the past, but I'm glad she blurted out that line because it helped us connect both of the good and bad experiences we had together as we grew up into a long conversation --three hours and six minutes to be exact--that was very meaningful. More importantly, it serves as a great start for many more to come. Catching up doesn't have to be that long, it can be simple and short as this one:

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."
-A.A. Milne

Wait, what about Salen's favorite color? I'm glad I didn't have to ask her that. It's GREEN. To the question if I do really know my sister: just like change, learning is constant.


Salin N.

No comments: